Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Think About These Things - Part 2 (with challenge)



I know that I am tardy with this post – I promise that I am going to do better on my frequency! But let’s get back to our discussion on the things that we think about.


Last week we looked at the sheer magnitude of the amount of time that we spend in front of the television. The reason that I even started to look at these statistics is because God has really been laying a specific passage of scripture on my heart. Here it is:


Philippians 4:8 (NIV)

8 Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.


The Greek word that is translated think about such things is the word logizomai which means more than just entertaining thoughts about something. In fact the word is a command in the Greek. It means that we are commanded to calculate, or evaluate, or meditate on the things from this list. In fact the verb form of the word calls for the “habitual discipline of the mind to set all thoughts on these spiritual virtues.” ( John MacArthur. The MacArthur New Testament Commentary – Philippians. Chicago, IL: Moody Press, 2001, pg 285.) In other words we are to so meditate on whatever is true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent and praiseworthy that it alters our lives. In fact the scriptures will tell us that it is the thoughts in our heads that will define our lives:


Proverbs 23:7 (NASB)

7 For as he thinks within himself, so he is.


When we come to understand the power of the command of this text then we are driven to consider the things that we let in our head every single day. If the statistics regarding television are true in our lives then there is no way that we can say that we are fulfilling the command of this verse - there is too much junk; there is too much sin; there is too much that does not meet the criteria set forth in Philippians 4:8! But maybe you do not watch television, so ask yourself if the conversations that you have throughout your day, the jokes that you tell, the emails that you read, the web pages you surf – do they meet the criteria of this passage?


The bottom line is that I have a long way to go! There are too many other things that I allow to take root in my heart and if I am not careful they will begin to define me! I can tell you from experience that when I get intentional about testing the things that I am letting in my head that my walk with Christ rockets to new heights! I find that I covet less, I deal with anger less, I am less critical – all because I get serious about the commands in scripture!


So here is my challenge – for the next week test every television program that you watch by the simple standard in Philippians 4:8 and if it does not pass that test then turn the channel. For one week try to think about only those things prescribed in this passage. Then come back on this blog and leave a comment detailing what you have experienced – I believe we could be in store for some amazing stories!


Lord Jesus, help us to think about those things that bring you glory. Help us to not just do it for one hour or one day, but help us to create a practice in our lives of testing the things that we let define our thoughts! We praise you Lord for the way that guide our lives!!

1 comment:

Jill said...

Okay, so I officially waited a week before posting a comment...I'm a rule follower. The truth is, I began praying this very same verse everyday about three months ago. About two months ago, I finally submitted to the conviction of the Holy Spirit that as long as I was continuing to fill my mind with trash, there would be trash in my mind. My conviction was to stop watching some TV shows that did not glorify God. I did. I also went through the DVR and deleted all the timers and all the previously recorded shows that did not glorify God. After a couple of weeks, I got to the point, I had no desire to even turn the TV on at all. I then carried the same conviction into all other areas of my day. As a result, God has done an amazing work in my heart! My relationship with Him is so much deeper and more filling than ever before. My spirit has become much more sensitive to the things that are not of God. I hear His voice so much more clearly, and I have tended to obey a little quicker and more readily.

"Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus. Do not put out the Spirit's fire; do not treat prophecies with contempt. Test everything. Hold on to the good. Avoid every kind of evil. May God himself, the God of peace, sanctify you through and through. May your whole spirit, soul, and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. The one who calls you is faithful and he will do it."
1 Thessalonians 5:16-24