Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Think About These Things - Part 1

Okay this is not a rant against television because believe me I love to watch television. But God has really been dealing with me about this topic. Let me give you some statistics that I found that have just really rocked my soul:


Amount of time the average American watches TV a day

=

4 hours (or 28 hours/week, or 2 months of nonstop TV-watching per year).



Amount of time the average American will watch TV by the time they are 65

=

9 years



Number of hours of TV watched annually by Americans

=

250 billion



Value of that time watching TV annually by Americans assuming an average wage of S5/hour

=

S1.25 trillion



Number of minutes per week that parents spend in meaningful conversation with their children

=

3.5



Number of minutes per week that the average child watches television

=

1,680



Percentage of 4-6 year-olds who, when asked to choose between watching TV and spending time with their fathers, preferred television

=

54



Hours per year the average American youth spends in school

=

900 hours



Hours per year the average American youth watches television

=

1500



Number of murders seen on TV by the time an average child finishes elementary school

=

8,000



Number of violent acts seen on TV by age 18

=

200,000



Tomorrow we will take a look at a passage of scripture that has really challenged me regarding my own TV watching habits. Today I just want you to let these statistics flow over you.



Statistics were compiled by:

TV-Free America

1322 18th Street, NW

Washington, DC 20036

(202) 887-4036

4 comments:

Angie Lynn said...

CRAZY!!!!! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for putting those statistics out there the day that we got our direct tv installed after 3 weeks with ZERO tv! :) Actually, 3 weeks w/o tv has changed our outlook on it and has changed the way we'll watch it from here on out. I can't wait to read Part 2. Is it Philippians 4:8???? Just a guess!

Anonymous said...

WOH!!! That's scary when you really think about it!!!

Pete and Kimberly said...

Wow, these stats are really eye-opening. Thanks for sharing. I'm not sure if you remember me, but I'm a friend of Kristi and Shanon's from A&M, and did some D-Now's in Abilene. --Kim (McKown) Craig