Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Temptation - Part 2

Okay let’s go back to our discussion on temptation. Yesterday we looked at the first temptation – to take control of our own lives and to provide for ourselves. We saw that the way that we combat this temptation is to delight ourselves in God above all others and trust that our greatest blessings flow from Him. This same theme will flow into the next temptation. Look at what happens:

Luke 4:5-8 (NIV)
5 The devil led him up to a high place and showed him in an instant all the kingdoms of the world. 6 And he said to him, “I will give you all their authority and splendor, for it has been given to me, and I can give it to anyone I want to. 7 So if you worship me, it will all be yours.”
8 Jesus answered, “It is written: ‘Worship the Lord your God and serve him only.’”

So, what is the Enemy tempting Christ with here? Materialism! He is trying to convince Christ that all of the stuff that the world has to offer, wealth and fame, is of higher value than God. You see if wealth and fame is of highest value then it does not matter if Christ worships Satan because by worshipping Satan Christ will receive that which is most valuable.

And this temptation is exactly what ensnares so many of us. We fall into the trap of believing that the path to happiness is found in material things. So we chase after these things as though they were God. Maybe you don’t believe me that we chase after the things of this world as though they were God. So let me ask you a question, “Already, today, have you spent more time earning your paycheck or seeking after the Lord?” You see the path to materialism is a slippery slope!

Now I am not implying that we should all quit our jobs and just read our Bibles all day. But I am saying that our lives should prove whom we truly serve. Because we cannot serve our pursuit of money and God at the same time. This is how Christ will say it:

Matthew 6:24 (NIV)
24 “No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money.

So, how do we know if we are serving God or money? How do we make sure that we look at life the same way that Christ looked at it, “Worship the Lord your God and serve him only.” I think the answer is found in how we use our money. This is where things get deep, so hang with me!

You see the end result of the life of Christ is that all authority and splendor would be given to Him:

Philippians 2:8-11 (NIV)
8 And being found in appearance as a man,
he humbled himself
and became obedient to death—
even death on a cross!
9 Therefore God exalted him to the highest place
and gave him the name that is above every name,
10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,
in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
11 and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord,
to the glory of God the Father.

But notice why Christ is given all authority and splendor – vs. 11b, to the glory of God the Father. Christ suffered died and was exalted for the glory of God. But Satan tries to convince him to take the glory for Himself. He says, “You can have everything that you are shooting for anyway, just do it for your own glory!”

Well it is the same with us. You see, there is nothing wrong with seeking after blessings. There is nothing wrong with working hard and making a good living. But the question that we each have to wrestle with is, “Why I am working so hard? Is it for my own comfort and my own fame? Do I work so that I can hoard my wealth and use it only for my own benefit? Or, am I completely submitted to God’s will for my life? Do I enjoy the blessings that He allows me to have, but do I enjoy them with an open hand? Am I always willing to release any blessing in my life so that it might be a blessing to someone else for the glory of God?”

You see Christ was not going to be sucked into a materialistic mindset. He knew that God planned to bless Him and provide for Him if He would but serve the Father. So He had no need to take it for Himself. In the same way we can rest in the absolute assurance that if we will serve God and not money that He will bless us and prosper us. We can trust that if we will serve and worship Him that we will know hope and a bright future.

Jeremiah 29:11 (NIV)
11 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

In this time of economic uncertainty the temptation will be more real than maybe ever before in our lives. Determine now that you will live your life with an open hand. Determine now that you will trust that God is the giver of blessing and that you ultimately serve Him alone.

Oh Lord I trust you and praise you. I admit that I am tempted to grab my own blessings. I admit that I want to seek the things of this world more than I seek my relationship with you. I admit that material things dominate the desires of my heart. Lord, please help me to worship only you, not my bank account or the toys that I purchase. Lord you alone give me hope and a future and I trust you!

No comments: