Tuesday, September 9, 2008

I Am In Need!

This morning I spent time contemplating these simple words of Christ “It is more blessed to give than to receive” (Acts 20:35). Now I usually approach this text as to what my attitude should be towards my fellow humanity. But if it is true that “it is more blessed to give than to receive” then that means that it goes for God as well as for us.

Now let that sink in… It means that God is most glorified when He is giving to us. This is why Jesus will say, “For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many” (Mark 10:45). Why is God most glorified when He is giving to us instead of receiving what we give to Him? Because in constantly and consistently being the giver He reveals that He needs nothing and we need everything; that He is sufficient within Himself and we constantly want more. It reveals that we are absolutely dependant on Him!

But we tend to think that it is the duty of our life to give to God, but the scriptures are clear that we do not give God anything, “The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. 25 And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else” (Acts 17:24-25, emphasis mine). No we receive all things from Him even the breath that we breathe.

What an awesome thought that God just wants me to enjoy Him! In fact that it is my highest act of worship for me to just enjoy Him; and to stop thinking that in some way I must repay Him for my neediness.

Lord this day let me rest in my absolute neediness and your ability and delight in meeting every one of my needs!

No comments: