Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Lessons from Crutches - Part 2

Use it or Lose It!

Since I have been on crutches a remarkable thing has happened to my surgically repaired leg – it has wasted away to nothing. I mean my leg looks like a pencil (well except of course for the knee it is still nicely swollen and looks like a canned ham taped to a straw)!! I cannot believe how fast this has happened. I used to have a big leg. I used to be able to lift hundreds of pounds with my leg and now I find it difficult to press the brake hard enough to bring my truck to a complete stop (anyone want to go driving with me)!

The atrophy in my leg got me thinking, “How many other things in life are wasting away because I am not putting them to good use?” This thought process has been very humbling for me. I must confess that I think one of the areas where this really gets me is with my mind. I know that I am too often content to rest on things that I learned while I was in college or seminary. I am prone to just fall back on old discoveries about God instead of constantly discovering new and more amazing truths about our infinite Savior.

Listen to the words of Job:
Job 26:5-14 (NIV)
5 “The dead are in deep anguish,
those beneath the waters and all that live in them.
6 Death is naked before God;
Destruction lies uncovered.
7 He spreads out the northern skies over empty space;
he suspends the earth over nothing.
8 He wraps up the waters in his clouds,
yet the clouds do not burst under their weight.
9 He covers the face of the full moon,
spreading his clouds over it.
10 He marks out the horizon on the face of the waters
for a boundary between light and darkness.
11 The pillars of the heavens quake,
aghast at his rebuke.
12 By his power he churned up the sea;
by his wisdom he cut Rahab to pieces.
13 By his breath the skies became fair;
his hand pierced the gliding serpent.
14 And these are but the outer fringe of his works;
how faint the whisper we hear of him!
Who then can understand the thunder of his power?”

All of the most majestic and miraculous things in creation are but the outer fringe of his works!!! How can I ever be satisfied with old revelation, with stale discovery? Every day I am given the incredible opportunity to discover Him anew, to be confronted with His greatness in a fresh way. Lord forbid that I should forfeit such an opportunity!

Have you discovered something new of the Lord today? Have you been confronted with a fresh measure of His grace; have you delighted in His character and majesty? Have you found yourself more submerged in Him today than you were yesterday? If not, what are you waiting on? There is nothing that satisfies like Him; nothing that is as valuable as Him; and no endeavor that has as much meaning as the pursuit of His depth.

What are you waiting for? Use It or Lost It!

Lord, might I discover you in some new and life-changing way today so that your glory might be displayed in me!

No comments: