Monday, September 8, 2008

Lessons From Crutches - Part 1

As many of you know I have been on crutches after knee surgery for the last 5 ½ weeks. When I thought about having the surgery I thought that the most difficult part would be the pain, but after going through this entire ordeal I can tell you that the worst part is the crutches. The big-time pain went away after about 10 days but the crutches have gone on and on and on and (well you get the drift).

My stent on crutches, however, has not been entirely devoid of blessings. One of the biggest things that I have learned is that it is much harder to be taken care of than it is to take care of someone. I cannot tell you how helpless I feel sometimes. When you are on crutches all you are is mobile. You can’t carry a cup of coffee or a book across the room. Unless it fits in your pockets you can’t carry it! I can’t tell you how much it bugs me to have to ask someone in our office to get me coffee every time that I need one!!

And I have noticed that laziness just brings on more laziness. I have found that the more that I lay around the more that I WANT to lay around! I find that I am less and less motivated to do even the small things that I can do just so that I can lay around more. Yesterday in worship I was confronted with this truth head on. Our worship services were PACKED, our Worship Pastor had done an incredible job of creating a time of introspective yet celebrative worship; our Student Pastor has done an incredible job of building our Student Ministry and leading them to get involved in worship; our Executive Pastor had led our people through a successful reorganization of worship and Bible study times (and the seats were full because of it); and I just felt like a slug! I know that I have not worked as hard as they have worked over the last several weeks – and I HATE it!!! Yesterday the Lord pounded on my heart that it is time to get back in the game! My vow this morning is that the times of lying around are over – it is time for me to work and move for HIS glory and to completely fulfill the task that He has set before me.

If you have the chance to pray for me this week ask that the Lord would not let me slip back into those lazy ways and that I would be diligent for His glory!

No comments: